YORK CITY, Pa.– Students at Phineas Davis Elementary School are being dismissed for the day after an odor of gas was detected at the school.
The students were initially evacuated after investigators found a small natural gas leak in the basement of the building located along the 300 block of South Ogontz Street around 10:30 a.m.
Students and staff evacuated to St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, which is across the street from the school.
Four adult employees were taken to a local hospital to be evaluated after becoming sick.
No children reported any symptoms, though staff members have been monitoring students closely since the evacuation began, according to York City School District spokeswoman Erin James.
As the investigation into the odor continued, administrators decided to dismiss students early for the day. The dismissal
went into effect at 11:30 a.m. Parents and guardians can pick up children at St. Andrew’s.