x
Breaking News
More () »

Newborn baby burned at the hospital

NASHVILLE, TN — A Tennessee family says their newborn daughter suffered serious burns after a piece of equipment at the hospital malfunctioned. A screw fr...
160506175553-newborn-baby-burned-hospital-infant-warmer-screw-pkg-00014004-exlarge-169

NASHVILLE, TN — A Tennessee family says their newborn daughter suffered serious burns after a piece of equipment at the hospital malfunctioned.

A screw from a heat lamp some how came loose, and fell onto the infant, leaving serious burns.

“My baby shouldn’t have had to go through that,” Sean Boyd, baby Aminah’s father told WSMV.

The hospital issued a statement saying in part:

“A nursing staff member who was at the bedside, removed the baby from the warmer. … A neonatologist was called to assess the baby immediately. A plastic specialist has been contacted to examine the baby to see if any treatment is needed at this time. There will be no cost incurred by the family related to this event. Saint Thomas Midtown is very sorry that this event occurred and have offered a sincere apology to the parents.”

The baby’s mother is still in the hospital.

She said she planned to take pictures of Aminah and had a special outfit for her.

She said now they can’t dress the baby at all for fear of irritating or infecting the burns.

The baby’s father has said he has plans to take legal action.