WPMT FOX43 | News in Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Lebanon News, Weather, Sports

State Police: Man who entered elementary school with gun arrested following foot, vehicle pursuit with troopers

LEBANON COUNTY, Pa. — UPDATE (9:45 a.m.): Police have identified the man who entered Jonestown Elementary School with a gun on Thursday. Tyler Weaber-Haag...

LEBANON COUNTY, Pa. -- UPDATE (9:45 a.m.): Police have identified the man who entered Jonestown Elementary School with a gun on Thursday.

Tyler Weaber-Haag, 23, is facing aggravated assault, criminal attempt burglary, and theft by unlawful taking among other related charges.

On February 7 around 3:00 p.m., State Police at Jonestown received a report of an attempted child luring in the 2300 block of Quarry Road in Swatara Township.

The complainant told her son that he had a cellphone for him and was seen going through their mailbox.

When the suspect allegedly tried to enter the home, the complainant called police and the suspect fled.

The suspect was described as a white male with beard and was wearing dark colored clothing.

The State Tropper proceeded to head to Jonestown Elementary School since it was close in proximity to where the child luring had occurred.

While in route to the school, police received a report of the same suspect, later identified as Weaber-Haag, entering Jonestown Elementary School. Police were told that he possibly had a firearm in his possession.

Then, another passerby told police that Weaber-Haag had fled the school, and police were able to follow the suspect east on Blackberry Street.

According to the criminal complaint, police gave Weaber-Haag multiple commands to stop, but he did not comply.

At one point, Weaber-Haag turned to police with his hands tucked into his waistband.

When police ordered Weaber-Haag to remove his hands, he proceeded to ignore commands until the State Trooper drew his firearm.

At that time, Weaber-Haag raised both arms before fleeing on foot through several properties.

Police chased him until the officer slipped in some mud near Jonestown Park.

At that point, Weaber-Haag pulled out a silver firearm, and pointed it at the State Trooper and yelled, "don't you f*****g chase me!"

The pursuit continued as Weaber-Haag ran towards the Jonestown Maintenance building before getting in a red truck and fled north on Mill Street.

Several employees at the maintenance building informed the State Trooper that the suspect had stolen a 1995 Chevy Pick Up/Dump Truck that belonged to the borough, and struck a borough employee with the vehicle.

The employee was taken to the hospital for treatment of his injuries.

A short time later, Weaber-Haag was seen heading north on S. Lancaster Street towards Moore Road in the stolen truck.

Police attempted to conduct a traffic stop, but Weaber-Haag continued to drive at a high rate of speed.

The chase continued onto Moore Road, Quarry Road, and Swatara Road before Weaber-Haag finally turned left onto Dead End Road.

Police had successfully deployed stop sticks on Dead End Road, and the suspect struck the sticks but continued driving onto Greble Road.

Weaber-Haag crashed the stolen truck into a sign on Greble Road, which disabled his vehicle.

He proceeded to flee on foot, and it took multiple troopers to place him into custody as he resisted arrest and would not obey orders to put his hands behind his back.

Police located the firearm Weaber-Haag had been brandishing on Greble Road. It was found to be a silver .38 caliber H&R Arms revolver.

Later, police were able to interview a receptionist at Jonestown Elementary School, who first made contact with Weaber-Haag.

She said that she asked him to leave when he ran out of the office and down the hallway toward the children.

The receptionist said she told Weaber-Haag that he needed to leave.

At that time, the receptionist said Weaber-Haag warned her repeatedly, "you don't want to do this!"

Now, he is facing charges.

PREVIOUSLY: State Police say a man entered Jonestown Elementary School with a gun Thursday afternoon.

Prior to that, he approached a child who had just got off a school bus down the street and offered him a cellphone.

State police arrested that man Thursday afternoon following a vehicle chase in which he ran over a borough employee with a stolen dump truck.

The man, who has not been identified, was transported to a nearby hospital after his encounter with authorities. He faces charges of aggravated assault, possession of weapon on school property, attempted burglary and fleeing and eluding.

Around 3 p.m., State Police were alerted of a suspicious man in the 2300 block of Quarry Township. State Police say the man approached a child who had just got off the bus and offered him a cell phone which was in the child's mailbox. The man followed the child to his home and tried to get into the residence but the child's mother stopped him.

The man then started to walk down Lancaster Street after the child's mother came outside.

At 3:18 p.m., State Police received a report of a man -- matching the same description of the individual above -- who had entered the elementary school with a gun. According to State Police, the man followed a parent through the front door, went into the office and when he was asked if he was there to pick up a student, he reportedly told the secretary, "I'm here for myself."

The man then ran through the halls -- being chased by the secretary -- and reportedly told the employee, "You don't want to do this," in which he showed the employee and a parent his waistband, State Police say. He then ran out of the school.

A parent described what her daughter Charlie, a first grader at the school, heard, felt, and said to other students during that time.

"She didn’t realize it was real," said Lisa McCoy, Charlie's mom. "One of her friends in a different classroom, the intruder was actually pounding on that door, and the teacher had bolted, had put desks in front, had put kids in cubbies, and was calling 911, from my understanding. She’s [Charlie] consoling other students in her classroom, telling them it would be okay, 'Just be quiet. It will be alright. The cops will take care of it. The adults will take care of it.'"

At that point, troopers were on the scene and was told that the man ran through an alley. According to State Police, a trooper found the man and observed him walking backwards, away from the trooper, with his hands tucked into his waistband. After the man refused commands to show his hands, the trooper drew his weapon, which led to the man fleeing on foot.

During the foot chase, which ensued for approximately half a mile through Jonestown Park, the man turned and pointed a silver pistol at the trooper, reportedly saying, "Don't f****** chase me."

According to State Police, the man fled toward the Jonestown maintenance building. He stole an unattended dump truck that was just backed up into the maintenance garage and ran over an employee, who was taken to Hershey Medical Center.

A vehicle pursuit ensued and State Police successfully deployed spike strips at Greble Road and Swatara Road. Following a successful PIT maneuver in the area of Greble Road, the man was taken into custody. A gun was located a short distance away and State Police say the man was in possessions of an empty holster.