Breaking News
More () »

Vicosa, Bynum, two girls dead in apparent murder-suicide, police say

Maryland State Police say Vicosa, Tia Bynum, and the two girls believed to be Vicosa's children were found shot in a vehicle.

MARYLAND, USA — Authorities say that a vehicle chase in pursuit of Robert Vicosa ended in a crash and four deaths in Maryland.

Shortly before 2:30 p.m., a traffic stop was initiated by Pennsylvania State Police troopers on a grey Ford Edge heading south of Waynesboro towards the Maryland line. Officials say that the driver refused to stop. 

A short time later, Maryland State Police said the vehicle veered off of the road, hit a culvert, and then stopped in a grassy area off of Route 418 in Smithsburg Maryland.

Police say they surrounded the vehicle, and attempted to make contact with the occupants of the vehicle.

Authorities say after no response, police attempted to get in the vehicle. Police say there was limited visibility in the vehicle due to window tinting and interior fogging. Police say they used 40 mm sponge rounds to break the front passenger side window. Officers say they opened the door to find the driver, Tia Bynum deceased by apparent gunshot wounds. Three back seat passengers, Robert Vicosa and two children also had apparent gunshot wounds. Investigators said Vicosa and one of the children were dead.

The other child was flown to a hospital in Hagerstown, where she was pronounced deceased.

Police say there is no motive known at this time for the shooting.

An assault rifle and other guns were found in the vehicle, according to investigators.

Here is a timeline of events that have led to this point:


Nov. 12

According to the criminal complaint, the victim, who is Vicosa's ex-wife and also the mother of Giana and Aaminah, accepted an invitation to celebrate her birthday at Robert Vicosa's home in the 1500 block of Pleader Lane in Windsor Township.

During an interview with police, the victim said she did celebrate her birthday with her daughters at Vicosa's home.

After some time had passed, the children had gone to bed and the victim was preparing to leave, when Vicosa told her that he had a gift for her, according to the criminal complaint.

Then, the victim says that both Vicosa and Tia Bynum grabbed her by the arms while Vicosa pointed a handgun to her head.

The duo allegedly forced the victim down into the basement, where she was tied up by her wrists and ankles and placed on a table on her stomach.

According to the affidavit, at some point, the victim was untied and forced to snort a crushed Oxycotin pill and smoke marijuana, while Vicosa made her handle weapons and bags of drugs.

The victim said after a few hours, Vicosa forced them up to a bedroom where he allegedly raped the victim.

Nov. 13 to 14

The victim was allegedly held captive these days and raped multiple times.

Police say that the victim spoke to her brother at one point to let her know that she was okay because he was worried about her.

According to the criminal complaint, Vicosa told the victim to sound convincing and that if the cops were called, "everyone would be dead."

The victim told police that on Sunday, she was able to convince Vicosa to allow her to go home to get some clothes and her computer.

After stopping at her home for the items, the victim went to Target and got help from an employee.

Nov. 15

Vicosa, a former Baltimore County police officer, has not been seen since Sunday, when the victim spoke to York County Regional police, concerned for she and her daughter’s safety. 

After executing a search warrant at the home on Pleader Lane, Lt. Schollenberger said the next move by law enforcement was, “to ping his phone” and geo-locate him to a home of a friend of Vicosa’s, Tia Bynum.

Bynum, who is believed to be a current police officer, was at the residence where Vicosa’s phone pinged, but after a search of the home, neither Vicosa or the children were located.

She confirmed to police that she was at the Pleader Lane residence with Vicosa, the victim, and the children from Friday night until Saturday morning, but denied ever going into the basement of the home.

Bynum also said she did leave Vicosa and the victim alone in a bedroom in the home.

Credit: York Area Regional Police

Nov. 16

As officers continued searching during the afternoon hours of Nov. 16, a tip came in that a woman on Hussan Road in Red Lion was being held at gunpoint by a black man matching Vicosa’s description. 

Officers say Vicosa, hiding with his daughters in the woman’s camper van, “held a gun to her head…demanded her car…and asked her to get him rope to tie her up.”

The woman offered him her car, a silver Jetta, and her cellphone, in which he proceeded to make several calls, before driving off with the young girls.

Later in the evening, officers found the silver Jetta abandoned in Red Lion with Vicosa’s medication and a cellphone inside it. 

Vicosa’s personal cell phone was pinged once again to Bynum’s house where she and the Lexus GS350 that was parked at her home, had gone.

Nov. 17

Police said at a press conference that Vicosa and Bynam committed a carjacking in the Cockeysville, Maryland area.

A victim was held at gunpoint by Vicosa while driving to several locations around the Baltimore metro area, before being released unharmed, police said.

Officers say a felony arrest warrant is out for Vicosa.

Both he and Bynum are believed to be together with Vicosa's children, and considered to be armed and dangerous.

Anyone with information is asked to contact their tip line at 1-800-762-8187.

Download the FOX43 app here.

Before You Leave, Check This Out